As expected, there is much history to the windows of St John’s. In this section we have provided a small image and some introductory text for each – simply click the link, highlighted in blue, to access the full text and larger image.
And there’s not just windows; look up towards the west end of the nave to view the seven paintings of the Celtic Saints. These delightful representations were painted by Sister Irene of the Community of the Holy Name. She was Parish Sister at St John’ for ten years until 1998. Some of the sisters of the Community of Holy Name lived in the Old Vicarage, which is now the Bishop of Carlisle’s residence.
Chancel Windows North and South
These sanctuary windows were placed in memory of Jane, the founder’s mother and her sisters Ann and Ellen Pollard. More..
The Frederick Myers Memorial Window
In 1889 Susan, youngest sister of the founder, who married the first Vicar Revd. Fredrick Myers arranged for this window to be erected in memory of her husband. More..
The East Window
In May 1879 Henry Holiday placed an order with Powell and Sons for the East window of St. John’s Church, Keswick, the bill to be sent to Reginald Dykes Marshall, Esq. More..
The Richard Watson Window
The most modern of St.John’s stained glass commemorates the seven years ministry of Canon Richard Watson who died suddenly while on a pilgrimage to Iona in 1990. More..
Thomas Highton Memorial Window
This window is a memorial to Thomas Highton headmaster of Brigham School from 1880 until 1907 and superintendent of the Brigham Sunday School. More..
Louise Highton Memorial Window
This window is a memorial to Louise Highton who was a V.A.D nurse during the war and died aged just twenty. Florence Nightingale and Dorcas are depicted in the lower half tending the sick and clothing the needy. More..
John Marshall IV Memorial Window
This window is a memorial to John Marshall (died 1923), a grandson of Henry Cowper Marshall. John Marshall of Derwent Island and his younger brothers helped to establish the National Trust. More..